Monday, September 13, 2010

New Books, OR, How Sarah Rees Brennan Made My Day

First we must talk about Sarah Rees Brennan (author of such YA titles as: The Demon's Lexicon, The Demon's Covenant, and The Eternal Kiss) and how she MADE MY DAY!

I didn't sleep very well last night. I actually didn't sleep at all. Well, maybe I slept an hour. But that was it! So I am groggy. Not awake at all. In fact, I bet I am not even very nice right now, and people are avoiding me. But I could be wrong.

The important thing is that I'm not in a sour mood anymore. And it is because Sarah Rees Brennan MADE MY DAY.

Do any of you watch The Vampire Diaries? I started watching them last week, since the first season came out on DVD so I could rent it. Somehow, that show works. I don't know why. It just does. I have found myself captivated by it.

As it turns out, I am not alone. Sarah Rees Brennan (who must be referred to with all three of her names at every moment because together, they sound so epic) watches the show too, and she has provided us with her commentary.

Without further ado, go read.

You should probably just read her blog every day now, because I told you to.

Now that I am in a happy mood, have some new books:

Soul Enchilada by David Macinnis Gill


One girl, one boy. Their eyes meet from across the car wash. It was love at first sight--except the girl's grandfather sold his soul to the devil for a classic Caddy and used HER soul as collateral. Now the devil's come around to collect, and he's taking the car AND her soul. Luckily Bug Smoot is fearless and ready for a fight. And Luckily that boy from the car wash is a secret agent dedicated to facing down the paranormal.

Eon by Alison Goodman


Fans of Tamora Pierce and Kristin Cashore will love Eon. He's spent his whole life training to become a Dragoneye. Except Eon is really Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl, not the twelve-year-old boy she's been pretending to be. If her secret is discovered, she'll be executed. Women are forbidden to use Dragon Magic. And then everything falls apart.

Also, I should mention that it IS possible to stand the way Eona is posed on the cover. Although you can't get out of that position without professional help. Otherwise it hurts. I would know. What? Yoga made me do it.

Fire: Tales of Elemental Spirits by Robid McKinley and Peter Dickinson (two fantasy greats you should absolutely know)


McKinley and Dickinson have written five short stories about creatures whose lives and deaths are centered around fire. With the two of them behind it, this book is bound to be a masterpiece of storytelling.

Wow. That pun was completely unintentional. Sorry.

Moving on.

The Indigo Notebook by Laura Resau, author of Red Glass


Zeeta and her English-teacher mother, Layla, move from country to country yearly. Layla thrives on change, but Zeeta isn't so happy with their arrangement.

Finding herself in the Ecuadoran Andes, Zeeta meets up with an American teen, Wendell, who has come to Ecuador searching for his birth parents. Zeeta agrees to help him in his search for the truth.

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz


This novel begins with a near-death experience for poor Camelia, whose day couldn't have been worse. She hopes. After meeting up with mysterious Ben, the new boy in school who may or may not have been the cause of his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Camelia's ordinary life becomes anything but--complete with mysterious telephone calls, packages, and thinly veiled threats. Now Camelia is wondering if she can really trust Ben, or if their secrets will keep them apart.

Jealousy by Lili St. Crow, the third Strange Angels novel


Poor Dru has finally made it to Schola Prima, home of the Order and training center for the djamphir, but the safety she was looking for is still out of reach. While Graves and Christophe struggle to...not...kill each other, Dru is still coping with the four-hundred-year-old psychotic nosferat Sergej, who wants her dead. Meanwhile, the Order is captivated by newcomer Anna, who wouldn't mind taking on Dru herself, so Anna can have what she really wants: Christophe.

No comments: