Friday, July 9, 2010

New Hardcovers

Finally, I am at the end of all the new books, and I must say, it's taken a great deal of time and effort to--

I'm not fooling anyone, am I?

Without further ado, the hardcovers that didn't fit in any other category and therefore have there own post! Incidentally, these are also the books that I'm most eager to read myself, in addition to The Cardturner, For the Win and As Easy as Falling off the Face of the Earth. You can read more about those titles here.

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson...


Lennie is quiet, a voracious reader, happily in the shadow of her older sister Bailey. But when Bailey dies, Lennie is suddenly the center of attention. Suddenly, she has not one boy in her life, but two. Toby, Bailey's boyfriend, who shares Lennie's grief, and Joe, the new boy in town, whose musical talent attracts Lennie. One boy helps her leave her sorrow behind, the other comforts her during it.

Needless to say, there will be some choosing involved...


Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver...



Samantha Kingston's charmed life has come to an untimely end. She leaves behind her boyfriend, her terrific best friends, her popularity, and on February 12, a Friday, she dies.

But that isn't how the story ends.

Samantha gets a second chance--actually, she gets seven. She relives her final day through one week, a week to solve the mystery of her own death and to rediscover the value of everything she's about to leave behind.

Fever Crumb by Phillip Reeve...



This description is a bit complicated, all good fantasy is. But you'll have to bear with me through my convoluted summary.

Fever, adopted and raised by Dr. Crumb, is the only girl ever to have served as apprentice in the Order of Engineers. Women, in their society, are considered incapable of doing the work, believed to be unreasonable creatures. Now Fever must leave Dr. Crumb behind and work alongside Kit Solent, an archaeologist, who is attempting to gain entrance to a locked room.

See, the room used to belong to a man named Auric Godshawk, the last of the Scriven overlords. The Scriven weren't human, they used to rule the city, but were killed off in a coup. Think Revolutionary War.

As Fever tries to get the door unlocked, memories that aren't her own begin to haunt her. Kit seems very interested to learn all about them. Fever remembers nothing of her life before Dr. Crumb but what he told her: she was orphaned. But now she's beginning to question all of what she thought was true, where the memories are coming from, why strangers want her dead, and what her role is in unlocking the secrets of the past.

Original fantasy novels are few and far between, and this is one of them. I wait for these kinds of books; I love them. I'm very excited! But...I have to finish reading the two other books I've started this week before I let myself start another. One of the many trials of library life.

No comments: